Natalie1471

Re: Any Lesbian couples out there?

#226 Post by Natalie1471 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:11 pm

Really I literally left at 1.15.
It was really good but overwhelming. Just wanna start now

Kinney

#227 Post by Kinney » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:41 pm

I know it seems overwhelming at first but you'll get in the swing of it really quickly!

We were in for a monitoring scan today, we're officially booked in for egg collection on Monday! My wife has some decent sized follicles growing and they're cautiously confident that they will get some good eggs. Fingers crossed!

Trigger shot tomorrow night, no pressure :lol:

Kinney

#228 Post by Kinney » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:28 pm

Hope everyone is doing well!

We had our egg retrieval today - 8 eggs, which we are so happy with as we were told to expect maybe 6.
Waiting for a call from the embryologist tomorrow morning to let us know how the fertilisation went. Really nervous and excited!

Natalie1471

#229 Post by Natalie1471 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:02 pm

Was it painful the egg retrieval. Just curious as they offer gas ha

Kinney

#230 Post by Kinney » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:13 pm

I responded to your other thread but I'll put it here too.
Bear in mind that this is based at our experience at Care Sheffield, I don't know what it's like at other clinics where they offer full sedation.

They don't fully sedate you but you are given mediation about an hour beforehand to relax you and local anaesthetic once you're in the theatre. You can also start on gas and air straight away. According to my wife, it was painful but not nearly as bad as she thought, just uncomfortable. She said that the gas and air helped loads.

I was in the theatre with her and the staff were absolutely incredible. We had one nurse "up top" with us the entire time, explaining what was happening and checking that my wife was okay. She was an absolute superstar, I couldn't thank her enough for how much she helped us. The embryologist also calls out every time she gets an egg so you that really keeps you going.

I hope this helps, try not to worry. When you're at that stage, you're almost at the end so this is one of the last hurdles to overcome :)

Natalie1471

#231 Post by Natalie1471 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:08 pm

Thanks Kinney yes I'm at Sheffield. U have my tablet already that I have to take with me for the hour before egg collection. Thanks for all the info, really helps

Kinney

#232 Post by Kinney » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 pm

No problem :) glad I could share some info that helps.
Are you and your partner doing reciprocal ivf? As in, is one of you carrying the others egg?

Natalie1471

#233 Post by Natalie1471 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:02 pm

No it's all just me

Kinney

#234 Post by Kinney » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:47 pm

Well you'll have plenty of support here :)

Natalie1471

#235 Post by Natalie1471 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:24 am

Well all my medication has just been delivered
Wow so much stuff ha

Kinney

#236 Post by Kinney » Wed May 01, 2019 11:28 am

I know, we struggled to find space for it all!
When is your next appointment Natalie?

Natalie1471

#237 Post by Natalie1471 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:56 am

Not got one now, just got to wait for my period to start, and then I ring to book my first scan and bloods. I start injections on the 2nd day of my period hopefully a week an half away

Kinney

#238 Post by Kinney » Wed May 01, 2019 1:36 pm

I remember that wait, I never wanted my period to start so badly! :lol:

Natalie1471

#239 Post by Natalie1471 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:07 pm

I know, got to try not think about it or I will end up being late. Want it to come early ha

Kinney

#240 Post by Kinney » Wed May 01, 2019 7:01 pm

I ended up four days late and I'm never late! :lol:
You'll be fine, on the injections in no time!

Natalie1471

#241 Post by Natalie1471 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:23 am

Hi guys. Was any of you told to drink a litre of milk a day

Dalex1

#242 Post by Dalex1 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:52 pm

Hi everybody,

Apologies, I didn't realise there was an open, on going post!

Thanks for the invitation over, truly appreciate it. My beautiful fiancée Alex has been on Suprecur since Saturday and so today is 7 days down and I started Thursday evening so am on day 2 of Suprecur! Alex is due to come on her period Sunday...there onwards we are to contact Care and arrange for our first scan approx. a week later I believe? & I think that's when the process will get a whole lot realer and scarier. It is so much harder than either of us fully anticipated! It's been a bumpy road too, we actually had a false start in December when I was nearly a week down on Suprecur and got a phone call advising they had checked my blood test results and I was no longer immune to Rubella so I would have to stop treatment immediately and refer back to my GP to have the vaccination course again. Upon communicating with my GP learnt that the process of being re-vaccinated takes 3 months!!! Safe to say that broke the camel's back, we had to completely postpone treatment and so here we are back now after what feels like a life time.

On that note, when we did start treatment in December, to our knowledge our donor sperm had been delivered to the clinic to be used in due course. However, when we returned to Care to confirm restarting treatment in April there seemed to be some confusion about the donor sperm? The advisor was like "oh you will be glad to learn that your sperm is being delivered Tuesday" and I was like "oh, sorry what do you mean, we were under the impression our sperm was here already as we began treatment at the end of last year which had to be stopped?" at which point she got flustered and was like "oh yeah of course I did say that this morning when they were asking for your notes!" blablabla... But there wasn't really an answer. Now obviously this left us both puzzled but there was so much to go through during that appointment it stupidly got completely forgotten about. Now, I know I need to phone to properly confirm with them - which I plan to do first thing Tuesday! - but having joined this online forum I was scrolling through posts and read somewhere that they can only keep the donor sperm for three months? This puts serious fear in us both, as if this is the case...our donor sperm would have "run out" by March at the latest... Extremely worried that this is going to be a second false start and that we are going to be back to square one all over again. Can anyone advise if they have any knowledge or experience of set backs and how this affects the keeping of donor sperm?

So lovely to read of others going through the same / similar processes. It's amazing and glad to be apart of it all.

Kindest regards,

Dani and Alex

PS - no, neither of us have (yet) been advised to drink a litre of milk a day!

Kinney

#243 Post by Kinney » Fri May 03, 2019 6:20 pm

Hello!
Well I can confirm that no one mentioned drinking a load of milk to us either!

You’ve had a bumpy ride, Dani! I had something kind of similar happen but not as drastic. When they were checking my immune records, we realised that we couldn’t access my files from my old GP (long story). So before we could start treatment, I had to have an immunology test to check that I was immune to everything. I was immune to rubella (hurray!) but not measles! They were happy for us to continue with treatment but I remember hearing about the three month wait if I had to be revaccinated and praying that it wouldn’t come to that!
At least you guys are ready to go now.

You’re definitely right to query the sperm issue. I don’t know how long they keep it for, but surely they wouldn’t have let you start on suprecur without checking that it was all sorted? I’m pretty sure that is all regimented, it definitely was with us. It’s easy for me to say don’t worry but don’t drive yourself mad!

How are you guys finding the suprecur? I know what you mean about it becoming realer and scarier. Time seemed to be dragging between appointments, we felt that nothing was happening and then all of a sudden it was all happening at once. It’s really easy to get overwhelmed by it all but remember to take a break every now and them, step back and breathe.

We had our embryo transfer today! I officially have one little embryo on board. Very emotional day and I’m utterly exhausted! I can’t believe I’m actually in the two week wait now - test date is the 17th. My wife is waiting on me hand and foot, i’m quite enjoying it :lol:

Dalex1

#244 Post by Dalex1 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:27 pm

Most definitely. Have so many questions already it's overwhelming af we've & only started doing the simplest part! God knows how we’ll cope with the next step. Do you know if there are any side effects of Suprecur? Did you guys experience any? How do you know if you are injecting correctly? Is there a certain part of the thigh it has to be injected? (I didn’t think there was but the more we do it, the bigger a debate it’s becoming in our household lol!)

So lovely to read through & hear the journey of another couple completing the same process. I wonder if you have any advice for the part you underwent? Like as the receiver of the embryo, do you have any advice for preparation for that part? There’s loads of advice for the female providing the eggs but I didn’t feel there was much for the female receiving the embryo...how do you know that your womb is “ready” so to speak? Is there any ways to thicken the lining of the uterus?

Wow that’s amazing news! Make the most of every minute!!! Hahaha. Say hi to your wife from us! Fingers toes & everything else crossed for you both. Be sure to let us know if / when you get your result!!! Do you know why they say you can’t wait the 2 weeks before doing a pregnancy test? I think despite how hard everything else is - that fortnight will definitely be the hardest & most anxious! You guys are at the last hurdle now!!! Amazing.

What was the insemination procedure like for you? I’m so worried about that part, I have THE weakest bladder & I know it has to be full! & I’m so worried about doing something wrong & ruining it all at the last moment. Are you working over the next two weeks?

As for the sperm thing - it’s keeping me up at night! Unfortunately our clinic isn’t so regimented hence the false start in December! They had all my blood results etc. & didn’t bother looking at them apparently, told us to go ahead & start. It was by chance another nurse see them phoned us & said we had to stop immediately!

BMI was another issue for us in the beginning. Do you mind if I ask what BMI range you guys are in? & how important do you think diet is during all of this?

Hope you’ve got your feet up & are enjoying the first bank holiday of this month!

Kindest regards,

Dani & Alex!

PS: Can you advise how long your treatment has taken from time one of you started Suprecur to the embryo insemination?

PPS!!! 13 DAYS GUYS!!! EVERYTHING CROSSED!

Kinney

#245 Post by Kinney » Sat May 04, 2019 10:19 pm

You guys have exactly the same worries and questions that we did! Let me try to answer all of your questions.

Suprecur side effects: my wife and I had very different side effects. They didn't start right away. She almost immediately started feeling tired really early on in an evening. I got occasional headaches after day three. I wouldn't say that we were moody but I was definitely more emotional. My wife had an extra long period but mine only lasted for four days. We both had backache but nothing unbearable. Our side effects weren't as extreme as what some people have experienced.

Injections: We had an injection teach session at one of our appointments but I have to be honest, I forgot everything by the time we did our injections. Definitely watch the videos on the Care website, they give you a good idea of how to do it. We injected in the thigh too. If you put one palm at the top of your thigh and one palm near the bottom by your knee - that part in the middle is the general area we injected. We alternated, did a different leg on each day and that helped a bit I think. Don't worry about not doing it properly, it's very straightforward. Syringe in the bottle, get your dose right, needle into the leg, push down. You've got this. You'll probably panic at your first one and that's normal but you do get used to it. It feels very odd to me that I'm not injecting every night at 7pm, it became such a part of my routine!

Being the receiver of the embryo: you are 100% right. There was a TONNE of info out there for my wife as the one who was stimming and providing the eggs. For me, as the carrier? Not so much. I tried to get as much info as I could from Care. Other than that, I tried to prepare my body the same way as any woman trying to conceive would. I tried to eat right as much as I could. I gave up caffeine and alcohol (I wasn't a big drinker anyway so that wasn't hard). You get medication to help with thickening the womb lining, but you don't need to worry about that until a later stage, until closer to the embryo transfer.

2 week wait: It takes two weeks for a detectable level of HCG to be in your body that can be picked up by a pregnancy test.

The embryo transfer: I was so unbelievably nervous beforehand as I didn't know what to expect but it really was okay. I brought a bottle of water with me and drank it in the waiting room and then in the private room they had us in before we went to the procedure room. You have to have a full bladder and it was definitely a bit difficult when the nurse was pressing the ultrasound thing down on my abdomen. But it's such a quick procedure, we were only in there about 15 minutes in total, you'll be out and in the loo in no time. The procedure itself was a bit emotional for me but I am such a softy in general, add all these hormones and I'll cry at anything these days! We were lucky that the procedure was on a Friday before a bank holiday so I have three days of rest and then I'm back to work on Tuesday. I could technically take some time off but to be honest, I need to be kept busy because I'll just overthink everything if I was at home alone all day. I have desk job so I think I'll be okay, there's nothing physically strenuous about it.

Diet and BMI: my wife is in the normal range and I'm a bit higher but they didn't seem concerned/ ask us about this at all. Like I said, we just did our best to eat well and stay as healthy as possible. It's difficult because we had various friends and family saying "Before I even knew I was pregnant I was eating junk food and drinking coffee, it has no effect on it at all" and others saying "remember that drug addicts and alcoholics get pregnant" BUT our stance on it is - we're spending thousands of pounds on this treatment. We're going to do everything we can to try to make we have the best chance of it working. If that means we have to put down the crisps for a few months and swap coffee for peppermint tea, that's fine with us.

Let me know if you have any more questions! Do you want to swap emails? I'm so glad to speak to someone in the same situation as us!

Natalie1471

#246 Post by Natalie1471 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:59 pm

Well I have just done my 1st injection. Wow that was an experience, took us ages haha

Dalex1

#247 Post by Dalex1 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:17 pm

Kinney we're so sorry we got locked out of his forum could not remember the log in details for the life of us!!! We,re two and a half weeks into injections now and absolutely exhausted haha. We're doing our injections at 530 every evening and are now worried that maybe it's too early!? Alex came on a week late...she has her scan tomorrow morning. I've come on today, was due Friday! So not quite as late!

Other than tiredness we doing okay. Alex is experiencing headaches I haven't yet! I have had dull cramp for the past week tho which is doing my nut!!!

Thank you so much for your detailed responses I so want to reply to each part but we are dying to know whether or not you guys have your result yet!?!?!

Yes would find it so much easier to email if you guys wouldn't mind? Hope it's not too late to exchange details... My email address is dannea93@icloud.com

Look forward to hearing from you, please could you reply via email if possible keep having problems logging on to this!!! Best of luck. Dani and Alex

PS we also got the word about the sperm sorted! Phew.

Kinney

#248 Post by Kinney » Wed May 15, 2019 10:52 am

Hi everyone,

Dani- just dropped you an email.

Well unfortunately it was a negative for us.

Just have to dust ourselves off and be grateful we have an egg in the freezer to go again and hope for a better outcome.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Natalie1471

#249 Post by Natalie1471 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:05 pm

So sorry to hear that Kinney, hope your both ok

Melissa91

#250 Post by Melissa91 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:15 pm

So sorry to hear that Kinney. How are you both xx