What happens to unused embies?

Discussion forum for those particularly interested in egg donation or egg sharing. Warning!!! please remember confidentiality at all times.

Moderator: Administrator

shiru

What happens to unused embies?

#1 Post by shiru » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:59 pm

Hi there
Hope I can this questions here. What do patients/clinics do with unused embies? Say 6 fertilised and you don't use them all? Are they destroyed? Or are they offered to childless couples waiting to be matched or none. I know we pay for storage of embies but just been wondering 🤔🤔🤔.. and I'm guessing they can't be stored indefinitely or can They? Is there a life span??

Hope someone can give me an answer
Thanks

mollymartha

Re: What happens to unused embies?

#2 Post by mollymartha » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:30 pm

i had my first ivf cycle in may before ec the nurse gave me several pages of consent forms to read and sign I had to decide what to do with any potential future embryos if I died, if I became mentally incapacitated and couldnt make a decision eg coma or if I just didn't use them did I want them stored , destroyed or used for research or donated to other ladies/ couples but that was a whole different form and you needed extra counselling for that part it gave you various options, same form for those storing eggs and / or sperm too, it gave you time scales of how long you wanted them stored for very hard reading to think about those scenarios and something I had to think long and hard about and chat to my mum at that point before ec I really didn't think I would have any to freeze so just said no to everything as I never imagined a scenario where I would have anything to freeze as it happens this cycle I got 7 blastocysts had one out back and the other 6 frozen if If if I ever got my happy ever after I may consider changing my mind and donate the unused embryos to another lady/couple but have to find out much more about it first I certainly wouldn't want something so precious destroyed and I don't want hem being used for research either but I would ideally like to chose a family and im not sure if you are ethically allowed to do that it may be I need to use up all 6 frozen myself and I have none spare I just have no idea yet and that's way off atm so not something I thinking much about on another forum I have heard ladies who have "adopted embryos" which I don't know anything about buy im guessing its where ladies who need embryos adopt ladies who have got some left over I don't think the lab can just destroy them without consent ask at your clinic what heir policies are on this the form I filled out was from hfea so m guessing its universal nationwide and applies to all clinics I think the nurse said to me most people go with 10 years storage and that covers them and their plans ask at your clinic im sure they can answer your questions much better than me! its quite a lot to think about x
me : single lady 36 - donor sperm

iui natural cycle jan 19 BFN
iui natural cycle feb 19 BFN
iui natural cycle feb 19 BFN

ivf#1 stimmed for 8 days, EC 17/05 12 eggs 10 fertilised 7 blastocysts ET 22/05 1 top grade blast 6 frozen blasts OTD 03/06

MommyKenny

#3 Post by MommyKenny » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:49 am

Hi, thanks for posting this I need all the information I can before going to my clinic for egg donation. My DH need sperm donation too. If other Moms have embies they are willing to donate then that would be very helpful!

shiru

#4 Post by shiru » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:09 pm

Anyone have any answers on my question. MommyKenny. Hope you get your donations. Her to chat if you need to x

MommyKenny

#5 Post by MommyKenny » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:45 am

Hello Shiru, yes love to give you update! I'm nearing my transfer day now. Yes it was a lot to take discussing all the legalities and possibilities. Me and DH got through them all. Good thing they will not do anything without our consent. Our embies are precious!

shiru

#6 Post by shiru » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Mommykenny
All the best with transfer. Where are you based and how did you get hold of donated embryos please? Are you able to share? If you are not I fully understand x

MommyKenny

#7 Post by MommyKenny » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:24 am

Hello Shiru, I'm here in Belfast, Ireland. We had our donations overseas. The clinic provided the donors for us. We like it there because there is very little complications. Let us hope for a good pregnancy all the way through. TWW now and testing on aug. 20. For now we have 2 embies frozen and I am hoping this one will be my miracle baby soon. I could share but maybe not right now. Have you tried embryo donation before Shiru?

shiru

#8 Post by shiru » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:33 pm

Hiya by the way I didn't mean for you to share your embryos. I meant for you to share how you came across the clinic you used abroad. Sorry for misunderstanding. All the best in the 2ww. You are PUPO.

MommyKenny

#9 Post by MommyKenny » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:56 am

O the clinic!!! LOL! Now that's funny! Haha! Yes of course. We wanted somewhere outside Europe because it's much cheaper. In our search we cam across Cyprus and we read an article of top clinics and Dunya IVF came out the highest in rank. I will post a link here so it's easier for you. https://www.dunyaivf.com/en