Single starting IUI

Trying for a family as a single parent?
donnielime

Re: Single starting IUI

#101 Post by donnielime » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:27 am

Louise79 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:17 am
Well my scan went well this morning and I triggered tonight ready for EC Monday at 7.30 am! I got myself into a right state with the trigger injection, I’m paranoid I didn’t do it right!! Why do they make it so difficult when it’s such a crucial part of the process? Why not make it available in an easy ready mixed pen?! :roll:

Donnie, how did you find the EC process? What is the sedation like? I feel quite anxious about that bit as I hate the thought of being awake but drowsy! And how was the pain level for you during and in the days afterwards?

Louise x
Morning Louise, great news about the scan. I also got myself into a state with the trigger! There was so much air in the syringe, I couldn't get all the liquid in and i flapped and lost a bit of it! I agree, it's so difficult and when you are feeling a bit stressed too. Plus you are anxious about not pulling the bit off the end and spilling it all. I am in a whatsapp chat with a few ladies who all cycled at the same time as me, and they all said the same - so don't worry - its not just you.

Wow 7.30am!! That's an early slot! I thought I was early at 8.30am! At least it means you aren't waiting round too long. Have you got someone going with you?

I found the EC absolutely fine. You get your own little room to get ready in. Whoever goes with you can either come down to the room or wait in the lounge. My friend came down to the room then went back to the lounge for a drink whilst she waited, then they called her back down. I was only in theatre about half an hour. They walk you down in your gown (and give you some crocs) and then you get on the bed. You get distracted as quite a few people are talking to you/ fussing around you, putting the cannula in/ getting you settled etc. I think there were at least 5 people in there! Suddenly they put the stuff through the cannula and I was gone! I was not aware of anything at all. I remember saying to them - should my hand hurt where it's going in and they said yes, the next thing I was aware of was me saying to the nurse 'hey I am still awake you know' and he said 'we have finished' ha ha. They took me into recovery briefly then wheeled me down to my room. They give you some paracetamol when you first get ready and then apparently would normally give you an ibuprofen suppository. I am however allergic to aspirin and have never taken ibuprofen so they didn't want to give it to me, but it made no difference at all. I was lucky, I didn't have any pain during or afterwards - just a bit bloated. All the staff were lovely - the nurse/ consultant and embryologist all came to speak to me before and then the embryologist comes again afterwards and tells you how many eggs they got and the nurse keeps checking on you. You then have to be able to have a wee before they let you go home, which is hard if you haven't had a drink for hours!

For the transfer you are fully awake so suddenly aware of all the people around you ha ha but everyone is so lovely and they show you things on the screen and talk you through everything :) its a surreal but amazing experience. I am excited for you!! x
me : single lady 40 - donor sperm
1st cycle - ICSI - Sept/Oct 2019 4 eggs, 2 fertilised, 2 3day embryos transferred = BFP <3

donnielime

#102 Post by donnielime » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:18 pm

Good luck tomorrow Louise79!!
1st cycle - ICSI - Sept/Oct 2019 4 eggs, 2 fertilised, 2 3day embryos transferred = BFP <3

donnielime

#103 Post by donnielime » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:38 pm

How did you get on Louise79?

Louise79

#104 Post by Louise79 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:57 pm

Hi Donnie

Thank you so much for sending me all that info on what to expect, it really helped! The procedure went really well and they managed to get 14 eggs 😀 unfortunately though, when the donor sperm thawed it was not great quality and borderline what they will accept. I didn’t even think that was a possibility! The clinic i purchased it from guaranteed high motile and minimum 8 million sperm, but what we got was 7 million and not a good grade. Care said that it does happen some times, and that the sperm clinic will just blame it on the thawing process. Seems so unfair when I’ve managed to get lots of good eggs. But they said they can do ICSI where they inject one sperm directly into an egg, which increases the chance of fertilisation. They said there is a charge for it but they are not going to charge me as it would be unfair. And as I have a lot of eggs they have recommended doing the ICSI in half of them and then normal process on the other half to see if the sperm can fertilise on their own. Feeling very anxious now waiting for the call tomorrow, I’m going to be gutted if I don’t get any embryos because of the sperm. Keep everything crossed for me!! How are you feeling now? Any morning sickness yet? Xx

donnielime

#105 Post by donnielime » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:18 pm

Great to hear from you and a fab number of eggs! Disappointing about the donor quality though? Where did you get it from? That being said, I got my donor from care and the offer was ICSI. They also said they wouldn't charge me any more. You should have a good chance with 14 eggs - 2 of mine (from 4 eggs) fertilised so you should have a fairly decent number!

How are you feeling tonight? Sore? Try to stay positive about tomorrow!!

I feel fine thanks, no morning sickness yet just tiredness!

Let me know what the news is tomorrow!! Well done and good luck! x

Louise79

#106 Post by Louise79 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:10 am

Hi

That makes me feel a bit better about it, I felt like I was the only person it had happened to!! But it worked out for you so that gives me hope! I’ll let you know when I get the call today! How many days did they leave your embryos to grow before transfer? Did you freeze the other one?

Louise79

#107 Post by Louise79 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:47 am

So I just has the call, out of my 14 eggs, 11 have fertilised 😀😀😀😀😀 such a relief!!!! They said they will call again on day 3 but that I should expect transfer on Saturday which will be day 5. 👍

donnielime

#108 Post by donnielime » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:03 pm

Louise79 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:47 am
So I just has the call, out of my 14 eggs, 11 have fertilised 😀😀😀😀😀 such a relief!!!! They said they will call again on day 3 but that I should expect transfer on Saturday which will be day 5. 👍
Wow thats great news!! :D

I had my transfer on day 3 and both embryos were transferred. They basically said, I could either transfer both on day 3 or wait for day 5 but neither might make it to blastocyst stage so i might have lost them both. So they both went in :lol: Apparently this is the norm when you don't have many embryos to choose from! A risk either way I suppose!

My donor was always going to be ICSI so I didn't have the shock on the day, like you did. Out of interest did they say how many of the 11 were ICSI and how many were IVF?

Louise79

#109 Post by Louise79 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:01 pm

So I’m curious, why was yours ICSI from the start? If you had both embryos does that mean you might be pregnant with twins?! Was that a concern for you at all? 5 of my embryos are from ICSI and 6 from natural IVF, which was a big surprise as based on the grade of sperm they didn’t think I would get any without ICSI!

donnielime

#110 Post by donnielime » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:25 pm

Louise79 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:01 pm
So I’m curious, why was yours ICSI from the start? If you had both embryos does that mean you might be pregnant with twins?! Was that a concern for you at all? 5 of my embryos are from ICSI and 6 from natural IVF, which was a big surprise as based on the grade of sperm they didn’t think I would get any without ICSI!
I don't know to be honest, I didn't ask - perhaps lower motility? Yes it does mean it could be twins ha ha, yes it is a worry but I had to take the possible risk of twins or risk having nothing to transfer from a cycle if neither embryo made it to blastocyst by day 5. Plus to be able to freeze an embryo it has to be really good quality so I could have got to day 5, transferred one (and got a BFN) and the other not been good enough to freeze. So i took the risk.... Any decision was a risk when there are only 2 embryos!
That is great, based on what they had told you yesterday!

Louise79

#111 Post by Louise79 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:31 pm

I would have done exactly the same in your situation, when you compare the risk of having twins or not having a baby at all, it’s a no brainier! How exciting for you, it must feel like an anxious time waiting for your scan now? X

donnielime

#112 Post by donnielime » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:48 pm

Louise79 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:31 pm
I would have done exactly the same in your situation, when you compare the risk of having twins or not having a baby at all, it’s a no brainier! How exciting for you, it must feel like an anxious time waiting for your scan now? X
Yeah, once it was explained to me like that it was a no brainer. To be honest I am so busy at work that I don't have loads of time to think about it and it still feels very surreal! How are you feeling today? x

donnielime

#113 Post by donnielime » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:33 pm

Hello Louise,

Any updates on the embryos? x

Louise79

#114 Post by Louise79 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:31 pm

Hi Donnie

Well it was a good update today, 7 out of the 11 are developing really well, the other 4 are a little slower but she said they may catch up. Out of the 7 really good ones, there are 3 clear front runners which I think they graded at 2. I was at work when I took the call so it was a lot to take in whilst trying to be discreet! 🤣 they are pleased with the development though and believe we will get some blastocysts on day 5. So I’m booked in for the transfer on Saturday at 1.30!

What is the transfer like? Did it hurt at all and did you take anyone with you? I’m still feeling bloated today and a little crampy, hoping it will pass soon!

Did you take any time off work to rest after the transfer? And how long did wait to test?

donnielime

#115 Post by donnielime » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:31 am

Louise79 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:31 pm
Hi Donnie

Well it was a good update today, 7 out of the 11 are developing really well, the other 4 are a little slower but she said they may catch up. Out of the 7 really good ones, there are 3 clear front runners which I think they graded at 2. I was at work when I took the call so it was a lot to take in whilst trying to be discreet! 🤣 they are pleased with the development though and believe we will get some blastocysts on day 5. So I’m booked in for the transfer on Saturday at 1.30!

What is the transfer like? Did it hurt at all and did you take anyone with you? I’m still feeling bloated today and a little crampy, hoping it will pass soon!

Did you take any time off work to rest after the transfer? And how long did wait to test?

That's great news.

No the transfer doesn't hurt and I went alone. You have to put a gown on again and walk to theatre. I found it quite fascinating. There are loads of people involved but they scan you as they transfer so you can watch on a little screen and they give you a photo of the embryo :) it's very quick, then they wheel you back to your room on the bed and you go as soon as you are ready! I was on half term, so off work anyway but I felt fine and went shopping to Ikea straight after and then for lunch!

I had my transfer on Monday (3 day transfer) 25th and my OTD was 2 weeks and a day later so Tuesday 12th. I tested on the Friday and Saturday before and then again on the Tuesday. I was strong and held off whereas some people test really early and sometimes get a negative as it's too early!

donnielime

#116 Post by donnielime » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:10 pm

Hey Louise
How did it go yesterday? Any news on your other embryos, have they been able to freeze any? x

Louise79

#117 Post by Louise79 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:46 pm

Hi Donnie

It went fine yesterday, it’s been really helpful hearing your experience of what happens at each stage so thank you! It was so weird seeing it on the screen and getting photos! They managed to freeze 3 embryos in the end so really pleased with that 😀 although obviously hoping that I won’t need them!! How are you feeling? When is your scan? Everyone around me is sick at the moment with all of the bugs going round, I’m just hoping I don’t catch them! It’s going to be a long 2 weeks, luckily I’m really busy at work at the moment so that should distract me!

Louise x

donnielime

#118 Post by donnielime » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:12 pm

Louise79 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:46 pm
Hi Donnie

It went fine yesterday, it’s been really helpful hearing your experience of what happens at each stage so thank you! It was so weird seeing it on the screen and getting photos! They managed to freeze 3 embryos in the end so really pleased with that 😀 although obviously hoping that I won’t need them!! How are you feeling? When is your scan? Everyone around me is sick at the moment with all of the bugs going round, I’m just hoping I don’t catch them! It’s going to be a long 2 weeks, luckily I’m really busy at work at the moment so that should distract me!

Louise x
Hello,
Glad it went well and 3 embryos frozen is a great bonus! I am fine thanks, no real symptoms other than tiredness - still waiting for the morning sickness to hit. There are loads of bugs going round here too - I am also trying to avoid contact with sicky people. My scan isn't for another 2 weeks! At Nottingham they do the scan 6 weeks after transfer so at about 8 weeks!! Its a killer of a wait! Another lady I talk to who had her transfer the day after me, but uses another Care clinic has her scan tomorrow! Part of me is pleased I will be 8 weeks, so I should hear a heartbeat but the other part of me would just like to check all is okay! So Tuesday the 10th it is!! I find the weeks go quickly as I too am busy at work but I will be wishing the next 2 weeks away too! x

Louise79

#119 Post by Louise79 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:23 pm

Looks like we are both in for a long 2 weeks then! 🤣 8 weeks seems a long time to wait for a scan to confirm everything is ok, but like you say it’s probably better as you will hey to hear the heartbeat, imagine how amazing that will be!! Are you taking anyone with you?

donnielime

#120 Post by donnielime » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:09 pm

Louise79 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:23 pm
Looks like we are both in for a long 2 weeks then! 🤣 8 weeks seems a long time to wait for a scan to confirm everything is ok, but like you say it’s probably better as you will hey to hear the heartbeat, imagine how amazing that will be!! Are you taking anyone with you?
Hello Louise, sorry for the delay. How are you feeling? Any plans to do an early test?
Yeah these last 2 weeks are dragging. I cant believe I have another week and a bit to go. I suppose 8 weeks does seem a long time but without IVF it would be 12 weeks? Like you say, hopefully I should be able to see more though! I think I am just going to go alone. My friend has offered to come but I am popping out of work, then going back to work so I think its easier to just go, than have to sort logistics. I would quite like to do it alone anyway - I am a bit weird like that! x

Louise79

#121 Post by Louise79 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:42 pm

Hi Donnie

I’m feeling ok thanks, bit of cramping and lower back ache as well as sore boobs, heartburn and very tired!! I know they are likely to be side effects from the progesterone so trying not to over think things! I’m so desperate to test early but so far have managed to talk myself out of it. I’ll be devastated if it’s negative and whilst I hold off testing it allows me to hold on to a bit of hope for a little longer, does that make sense?

donnielime

#122 Post by donnielime » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:43 am

Louise79 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:42 pm
Hi Donnie

I’m feeling ok thanks, bit of cramping and lower back ache as well as sore boobs, heartburn and very tired!! I know they are likely to be side effects from the progesterone so trying not to over think things! I’m so desperate to test early but so far have managed to talk myself out of it. I’ll be devastated if it’s negative and whilst I hold off testing it allows me to hold on to a bit of hope for a little longer, does that make sense?

It totally makes sense and was my theory too. I bought some cheap testing strips and managed to hold off till day 10 (Thursday), when it was faint. I then did a proper test on day 11 and day 12 and the Care test on OTD which was day 15 (Tuesday). I had had sore boobs during the 1st week, but no symptoms the 2nd week so was adamant it would be a negative, so was in no rush to test. As soon as you start testing though, it because addictive. Hold off as long as you can manage!