Discussion group for all IVF topics.

Moderators: CARE Support, Administrator

Neonurse

Low sperm count, how often to have sex?

#1 Post by Neonurse » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:06 pm

Hi I'm new to the forum.
Currently on cycle 13 with no hint of a pregnancy :(
We're saving like mad for ivf.

So far all scans and bloods are normal for me but I'm older (37).
Husband has sperm count of 9.5million, normal morphology and normal motility.

How often should we be having sex?
We've been doing it every day or every other day but now I'm thinking it might be too much?
There is so much conflicting advice online, I'm stressed and confused about it all.

Thanks x

Givingitatry

Re: Low sperm count, how often to have sex?

#2 Post by Givingitatry » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:59 am

Neonurse wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:06 pm
Hi I'm new to the forum.
Currently on cycle 13 with no hint of a pregnancy :(
We're saving like mad for ivf.

So far all scans and bloods are normal for me but I'm older (37).
Husband has sperm count of 9.5million, normal morphology and normal motility.

How often should we be having sex?
We've been doing it every day or every other day but now I'm thinking it might be too much?
There is so much conflicting advice online, I'm stressed and confused about it all.

Thanks x
Hi there, we were told every other day around the fertile window (we used Clearblue ovulation tests to track) as sperm can survive for a few days as they wait to fertilise the egg. More important to be pre-ovulation so they’re there ready. Everyday becomes very tiring and can cause some pain if there is too much friction… (!) Perhaps considering preseed could also be worthwhile if there is a slight male factor too? I had a few friends that this worked for after 1-2 months and meant they dodged ivf. Didn’t work for us but it’s not that expensive really so worth a go if you haven’t tried it?

Sorry to hear you’re stressed about things. Completely understandable but try as best you can to take each day and don’t forget to take care of yourself. Trying to get pregnant can consume your whole life and therefore takes its toll so don’t forget to ‘be a couple’, see friends and treat yourself too. Good luck x
Oct 20 ICSI fresh (long): 2xday 5s - BFN
Feb 21 L1/2 tests: abnormal clotting, NK, T cells
Apr 21 Immune FET (long) 2xday 5s - BFP chemical
Aug 21 Immune FET (short) 2xday 5s - BFP ❤️ 👶🏻👶🏻 but early loss of one. 👶🏻 🎀 EDD 11/5/22

Neonurse

#3 Post by Neonurse » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:26 am

Thankyou.
We're using preseed as we've tried conceive plus. Im trying the fert-lily this month so hopefully that will help.
I've stopped using opks as I work shifts and I couldn't handle the guilt of getting peak and not being able to have sex after a 13 hour shift or between night shifts. We both agreed we would never force ourselves just because we felt we had to.
I don't think the stress of it all helps.

Givingitatry

#4 Post by Givingitatry » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:07 am

Neonurse wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:26 am
Thankyou.
We're using preseed as we've tried conceive plus. Im trying the fert-lily this month so hopefully that will help.
I've stopped using opks as I work shifts and I couldn't handle the guilt of getting peak and not being able to have sex after a 13 hour shift or between night shifts. We both agreed we would never force ourselves just because we felt we had to.
I don't think the stress of it all helps.
That’s good you’re already trying those sorts of things and understandable about opks with shift work. The stress is the worst part of trying to conceive and I think it can drive a bit of a wedge between couples too as you risk losing the intimacy. It just becomes mechanical even if you try to avoid it. But it sounds like you’re doing everything you can and hopefully you’ll conceive naturally soon. In the interim though saving for ivf is a good idea as even if you conceive naturally the money will come in handy (!).

Have you also looked at things like probiotics, acupuncture etc? You’ll see some messages on EMMA, ALICE tests etc and for one of those the treatment is something you can just take anyway (probiotic). We were told not to bother paying to test and just supplement if we wanted to as does no harm to have the supplement. But we already had other tests that suggested our unexplained infertility was related to other things so I didn’t in the end but the other ‘immune’ ivf protocol worked for us. Thought I’d mention it in case but I feel you have been trying everything so may already be trying those sorts of things. I hope you get your miracle soon x
Aug 21 Immune FET (short) 2xday 5s - BFP ❤️ 👶🏻👶🏻 but early loss of one. 👶🏻 🎀 EDD 11/5/22

Neonurse

#5 Post by Neonurse » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:16 pm

Ooh I've just read up on the emma/Alice. I've never heard of that before.
Funnily enough I was diagnosed with asymptomatic BV in November so had antibiotics and a course of balanceactiv to clear it before my hsg.
I might start taking probiotics in any case as apparently it likes to come back. I do ph tests every week just to make sure it's all acidic because apparently bv raises vaginal ph.
Are oral probiotics ok or do they need to be vaginal capsules?

Givingitatry

#6 Post by Givingitatry » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:20 pm

Neonurse wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:16 pm
Ooh I've just read up on the emma/Alice. I've never heard of that before.
Funnily enough I was diagnosed with asymptomatic BV in November so had antibiotics and a course of balanceactiv to clear it before my hsg.
I might start taking probiotics in any case as apparently it likes to come back. I do ph tests every week just to make sure it's all acidic because apparently bv raises vaginal ph.
Are oral probiotics ok or do they need to be vaginal capsules?
Oh interesting! I don’t actually know much about it all personally but if you search on the boards (using search function) I swear someone recently posted about it! You learn so much from these boards x