Due date confusion

Discussion Forum for those with assisted reproduction pregnancies.

Moderator: Administrator

Cottonsocks

Due date confusion

#1 Post by Cottonsocks » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi,

I've got a bit confused with my due date as the IVF clinic have given me a different date to the IVF calculators that are all over the internet. They've worked it out as 38 weeks plus 2 days from egg collection and just told me that's how they always do it. However the literature they gave me just said 38 weeks. I know it's silly but I'm now due 3 days later than I thought and with counting down to 12 weeks every day matters to me.

Does anybody know the reason why the 2 days are added on as well?

Thanks

snowycat

#2 Post by snowycat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi, I don't know but has it something to do with 2 day, 3 day or blastocyst transfer?
Congratulations on your pregnancy!
Xxxx

Chucy

#3 Post by Chucy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:59 pm

Cottonsocks - you are effectively 2 weeks pregnant at EC so baby is due 38 weeks after EC. This is because "normal" pregnancies are dated from the first day of your last period on the assumption of a 28 day cyle hence at ovulation on day 14 you are 2 weeks pregnant. Congrats on your BFP - Lucy XX
BFP 4th cycle October 2009 (FET)

BFP 11th Cycle July 2013 (Immune ICSI) MMC 8 weeks :(
BFP 14th cycle Nov 2014 (immune FET) blighted ovum :(

Briony

#4 Post by Briony » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:06 am

Hi there,

It doesn't necessarily get better as you get into the NHS system - you'd think they'd take your IVF dates as pretty much definite, but lots of people have found that some places take EC, some ET and then it can all change again after your 12 week scan as they date from the size of the baby!

Good luck with everything,

Love Briony

wendymw

#5 Post by wendymw » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:29 am

I've always assumed the same as Lucy - count back 2 weeks from the date of EC and then you've got another 38 weeks. My NHS people kept trying to change my due dates, but when I stressed that it was IVF and I knew the HOUR that I conceived, they kept it as per my IVF dates. I must have been quite forceful about it! lol.

Good luck
Wendy x

Cottonsocks

#6 Post by Cottonsocks » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:09 pm

Thanks all for your replies it has reassured me that 38 weeks from EC seems about right. My GP insisted on working the date out from LMP even though I was IVF, although it just so happened to be the same date as 38 weeks from EC so I've already had a taste of the way the NHS works.

Lubo

#7 Post by Lubo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:36 am

LOL- I had at 4 'official due dates' and all 3 were different to the IVF calculator!!!! I found 2 IVF calculators on line ( with due dates being 1 day apart) ....so I had 5 dates altogether!!!!!!!
1. Care's was the same as one of the IVF calculators
2. My scan at 11 weeks was my NHS 'dating scan' which gave another date (they said the fact it was IVF didn't matter)
3. My NHS Consultant however said point 2 was silly and my date should reflect EC (he was also an IVF consultant in Glasgow) ....but he worked it out as a different date as CARE and the IVF calculator!!!! It would appear diff IVF clinics have their own ways of calculating it!!!!
4, Then at my 20 weeks scan they said all 4 dates were wrong

So 5 dates (4 from nursing and medical staff!!!!!)

Congratulations on your pregnancy honey

Love Lubo xxx

spartan

#8 Post by spartan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:46 am

Hi,
It's so weird isn't it.. I've had 2 dates - only 1 day apart fortunately.. But the GP / midwives did try to keep changing it; and then I just said it was IVF and told them all the details. They seemed to look a little baffled and then just took my word for it..
So i'm in the curious position of having my notes say one thing and then every time I go for a scan they always tell me something different..

I think if it's only a few days - don't worry too much. As long as you get your 12 week scan within the NT testing period; you're fine and baby will come when baby is ready anyway.. :-)

I just think it's so funny to see the utter confusion on various professionals' faces.. You'd think they'd have come across enough IVF ladies surely!!!

Take care xxx

Cottonsocks

#9 Post by Cottonsocks » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:06 pm

I don't understand why the NHS don't get the difference between IVF and natural. This is my first pregnancy so it's all new to me. Saw the midwife for the first time on Friday and she just seemed to ignore the fact I was IVF, much preferred my treatment at Care.

She gave me a different date again worked out from LMP! and she wasn't very nice after she found out I'd already seen my GP. I've decided it may just be easier to work on a w/c due date for now and focus on the pregnancy just knowing the baby will come when it's ready.

Looking forward to the dating from the 12 week scan to see if it does coincide with any I already have :-)

spartan

#10 Post by spartan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:07 am

I agree regarding treatment from midwives.. I was told that I needed to watch my weight (regardless of the fact my BMI is perfectly normal) as she felt I was higher than I should be..
Well lady - you try getting through a full cycle of IVF, with progesterone support and all the other crap that your body goes through without putting a couple of pounds on..
She was so condescending about how if I was over-eating now (which I wasn't and don't do) then I'm making a rod for my own back during the rest of the pregnancy!! Cheek of the woman! Needless to say I MUCH prefer seeing my consultant at the hospital (as I'm consultant led) who focus on the baby's health and makes sure I'm healthy!

Anyway - rant over ladies - sorry.. I just think there's an adjustment to NHS care after care at Care - so to speak; and you just need to focus on you and try to ignore the silliness..

Cottonsocks - lots of luck with the 12 week scan.. Hope all goes really well! :-)

Lots of love xxx

ivygrimes

Re:

#11 Post by ivygrimes » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:55 pm

Cottonsocks wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:09 pm
Thanks all for your replies it has reassured me that 38 weeks from EC seems about right. My GP insisted on working the date out from LMP even though I was IVF, although it just so happened to be the same date as 38 weeks from EC so I've already had a taste of the way the NHS works.
Hey.

Out of curiosity, how did your GPs due date match what your IVF nurse advised? As counting back 2 weeks from Egg collection makes it 40 weeks but your GPs calculation of LMP would be counting back more than 2 weeks surely, as your final period is a good month or so before eggs are collected.

I know this post was put up years and years ago but I'd love to understand how a GP worked out an IVF patients due date using the standard LMP date (when LMP is more than 2 weeks prior to egg collection)

Sophia25

Re: Due date confusion

#12 Post by Sophia25 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:21 pm

I gave up with this in the end. I worked out mine initially with an IVF calculator … then at my 13 week scan she said to ignore that and go off what they measured the baby at (which was three days later than my IVF calc). They then said I will get my due date confirmed at my 20 week scan (next week) so who knows that will be! x