CYSTIC FIBROSIS CARRIER GOING FOR SSR

Male issues surrounding Assisted Reproduction.

Moderator: Administrator

jenwestie2009

CYSTIC FIBROSIS CARRIER GOING FOR SSR

#1 Post by jenwestie2009 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:21 am

Hi me and my partner have been having tests at Chesterfield Royal Hospital for 1 year now and as a result we now know that my partner has Cystic Fibrosis and has absence of the vas defrens. This is supposed to be quite rare. As a result he did not develop the tubes that release sperm. He will therefore have to have surgical sperm removal and we will be having ICSI.

I wondered if anyone else has been in a similar situation to ours? If so how successful was the surgical sperm removal? How successful was ICSI?

My DP is going to have the SSR at the end of October so just waiting for that at the moment but would love to hear from anyone that is in the same situation.

Thanks Jen
Investigations 2011 - 2012 at Chesterfield Royal Hospital (Calow)

Referral to Notts Care for SSR/ICSI

ME 27 and DP 35

my fair lady

#2 Post by my fair lady » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi Jen were in the exact same position as you. Have u started your treatment.? Ssr for my hubby was fine, they got good quality samples so dont worry about the quality of the sperm. Icsi went ok. Wishing u lots of luck and look forward to your reply. Xx

jenwestie2009

#3 Post by jenwestie2009 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi my fair lady. Nice to hear from u. So glad u commented. Iam currently in my first week of injections. We got 4 straws of sperm but haven't been told about the quality of the samples yet. Presume they will confirm once thawed? But glad to hear that ur hubbys was good quality. Got everything crossed for the icsi working. They have said my follicle count is 17 so hopefully get plenty of eggs. Are u currently undergointreatment? Thanks for wishing me us luck and same to u if u are undergoing ur treatment too jen xx

ME 27 and DP 35

my fair lady

#4 Post by my fair lady » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:27 am

Hi Jen
Yes were almost finished, were just in the two week wait period so hoping for a positive result! I assume this is your first cycle? It is our third cycle, but first with care. They used a fresh sample of sperm with us. A follicle count of 17 is fab! Well done! They got 8 eggs from me, but only 2 fertilised, and in the end only one was suitable to transfer. I test next week eek. I dont know anybody else who is in the same position as me and you Jen, we had no idea that my hubby was a CF carrier, did you? I tested negative to CF to thats good. Hope you feel ok ok the injections, I didnt feel any different on them x

jenwestie2009

#5 Post by jenwestie2009 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:33 pm

I know I have posted on here about the cf and no one else has come back to me other than yourself. I was tested for the 50most common cf genes and mine came back ok too. I think it is quite rare what our partners have. We had no idea that my partner had cf but was aware he was infertile as he had tried in a previous relationship to have baby without success. It was quite a shock to find out the root of the problem and have had lots of tests which has taken a year under the hospital to find out. Oohhh how exciting ur in the 2ww. Wish I was too but not long now. I have felt fine also on
The injections and not had any other side affects apart from being hot. Wishing u lots and lots of luck hunny Jen xx

ME 27 and DP 35

my fair lady

#6 Post by my fair lady » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:18 pm

Haha yeah they made me real hot too, but I didnt mind in this cold weather!! Yes it is a rare condition, bless them. Does your partner suffer with asthma or prone to getting chest infections? Mine does xx

jenwestie2009

#7 Post by jenwestie2009 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:21 am

No mine doesn't get those although he suffers bad with gastro problems like indigestion and stomach problems and think they said that could be down to cf although more commonly asthma and chest infections. He must be lucky. Yeah bless them they are one of a kind. How did ur hubby take the news when he was told? My partner was ok as he had resigned to the fact he would never have children so looks at this like a bonus that we might be able to. Iam praying it all works. I am absolutely on fire as we speak hehe feel like I've got sunburn am that hot but like u say dont mindwhen its this cold. I have spoke with some great girls on here and find it soothing to share the experience...really helps me not to worry. I really really hope you get a positive test would be such good news and a lovely Xmas prezzie for u both. Jen.xx

ME 27 and DP 35

my fair lady

#8 Post by my fair lady » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:42 pm

My hubby couldnt believe it, and neither could his parents, especially when it transpired they too were both carriers, but went on to have 4 children naturally (all of which are carriers too). So they were very lucky to conceive naturally. My hubby's parents feel partly at blame, but its totally not their fault, and I keep telling them, this CF gene could have been in their family for years and years back. So I assume this is your first cycle? Really hope it works for you and I both! Ive been praying so much! It sure is an emotional rollercoaster! I must admit, I do get very down about it, inbetween cycles. But weve decided,if we get a negative, were going to book a hol just after xmas, and escape to the sunshine for a break! Were so in need of a hol, not been in ages, and sunshine is good for you, especially if youre down. But hopefully we'll not be booking any holiday and have possibly our best xmas ever!! Hope the injections are going ok xx

jenwestie2009

#9 Post by jenwestie2009 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi my fair lady I still haven't come on my period...wish it would hurry up...never wanted that time to come so much xx

ME 27 and DP 35

my fair lady

#10 Post by my fair lady » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:24 pm

hi Jen, dont worry it'll start, I think I was about 2 days late, but usually am anyway. Nature will take its course! Im the opposite to you hehe I dont want to come on! My last period was just over a month ago, but I know that IVF cycles delay your period (obviously if negative result), I remember last time I came on 2-3 days after I got neg result. So hopefully I wont be getting another period for about a year! Be nice!
Today was my first sort of day out since this 2ww period. Mum picked me up and we went to a garden centre followed by lunch followed by the range! I sort of panicked in the car as not mum's fault at all but the road felt so bumpy and I didnt like it, I was cursing myself for leaving the house, but its done now! Cant turn back time and its not like mum was going fast.
Sending you positive thoughts xx

jenwestie2009

#11 Post by jenwestie2009 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:13 pm

Yeah that's it just got to let nature take its course. Can't wait for the day we can see the embryo go back in...bet its so exciting!!! Yeah I got my fingers and toes crossed for u that your period doesn't come for a year :D been meaning to ask about what u need to do during ur 2ww (the longest 2 weeks of ur life I bet). I am having to take unpaid leave for it all and could do without that just before Xmas but if I have to then I will...no amount of money in the world will bring u that kind of happiness if it works. Do they advise u not to work? I'm sure u outing will have been fine...probs will have done u good. Sounds like a perfect day love going to the garden centre at Xmas and love going to the range even more. Sending u lots and lots of luck hunny xx

ME 27 and DP 35

my fair lady

#12 Post by my fair lady » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:00 pm

It is so exciting Jen, especially when you see the photo too! During the 2ww you just have to take it easy, I was advised not to work as my shifts are long - 10 hours - and Im on my feet all day, so I decided to have 2 wks off anyway. Last week I hardly moved off the sofa,l I even got my sister to walk the dog during the first 2 days after ET, then I started to walk him, he doesnt walk fast anyway and fresh air never killed anyone. TBH this week is flying, but last week dragged a bit. Got into a routine, settle down for jeremy kyle at half 9 when i take my pessary! Hubby convinced my boobs are bigger and heavier, which I agree with, but could be the pessaries doing that. My dad is convinced its going to work, mum dreamt of a nurse smiling, and me, well I have positive days and not so! If it doesnt work were booking a hol for end of the year, and i can finally have a glass of wine, not touched alcohol for over 4 months, and i am known to enjoy a glass of wine or two hehe, but i havent minded not drinking one bit, as I will do anything it takes to have a baby one day!!! wouldnt it be great if every couple were guaranteed a baby after all of this!! i must say, i do feel comfortable at care, they seem great, ive been reading other threads and theres plenty of positive results this week! lets hope it carries on for us! sleep tight, try not to worry (hard i know) and think positive thoughts xxx

jenwestie2009

#13 Post by jenwestie2009 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Hey my fair lady...hope ur ok. I've come on my period today!!!! Yayyyyyyyyyy. Can u tell me what happens at my next appointment? I'm so excited now. U had anymore pregnancy symptoms? Just cleaning and making a Sunday roast xx

ME 27 and DP 35

my fair lady

#14 Post by my fair lady » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Hey Jen, Im fine thank you! Are you? I cooked a roast chicken today with all the trimmings!! It was lovely. Yay thats fab news! You on the long protocol? If so I guess you'll inform CARE tomorrow that youve come on and they will book you in for a down reg scan, prob next Mon, you will know there and then if youve down regulated, then they will call you to let you know when to start the 2nd injections! Well youre well chuffed things are moving forward!! No still the same, boobs hurt a bit and the odd twinge. xx

jenwestie2009

#15 Post by jenwestie2009 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:55 am

Hi my fair lady...u was right they booked me in next Monday so fingers crossed this part is working. Been really tired the last couple of days so dont know if its these injections or just me. Are the next injections much bigger...they look it or would u say they are as easy as the first? Glad ur ok...when is ur test date chick? Wishing u lots and lots of luck xx

ME 27 and DP 35

my fair lady

#16 Post by my fair lady » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:44 am

Hi Jen, I had no side effects on this lot of injections (apart from hot flushes), but I did on the previous two cycles. Well, got my hubby to prepare the 2nd lot, all I will say is give yourself half an hour on the first night to get them prepared, as we didnt give ourselves enough time resulting in me in floods of tears for being 15 min late injecting and I felt so bad about it. By the 3rd night we cracked it! everyone is different! the actual injection is absolutely fine. I had no probs. My test date is tomorrow eeeeek, back at work tomorrow too! I will miss my jeremy kyle in a morning hehe and deal or no deal at 4pm haha. already done a couple of sneaky tests and they came up positive so fingers crossed it holds out til tomoz. throughout this cycle ive been taking one day at a time. have a lovely day, and keep me posted and I will you xxx

jenwestie2009

#17 Post by jenwestie2009 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:37 am

Omg that's such good news...how exciting!!! I'm sure tomorrow will be fine hunny. What side effects did u have first time round? Is it really hard to prep?? :( back to work is not good! Think there should be something put in place for time off for ivf. Bet u will miss jeremy Kyle lol I got that to look forward to hehe. I won't be able to wait to test either!! U enjoy ur last day off. Will keep u posted jen xx

ME 27 and DP 35

my fair lady

#18 Post by my fair lady » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 am

I know, its very exciting, hopefully third time lucky for us. Side effects before were tiredness and sicky feelings. I didnt prep one, my DH did, its just about taking time and getting used to it, honestly you'll be a dab hand, on our 2nd night of them we ended up calling the care aftercare line as the solution didnt seem enough, but it was fine, no worries. the nurse will demonstrate to you on mon how its done. We asked her to show us again just for peace of mind.
i will try, just done pessary so having half hour on sofa. was supposed to be having hair done today (highlights)but have cancelled it as mixed reports on whether its safe or not and no way was i risking it, ill have to have dark roots over xmas haha sexy. xx

jenwestie2009

#19 Post by jenwestie2009 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:08 am

Hi my fair lady...how did it go yesterday? Had everything crossed still bfp!!!! Hope ur ok and ur first day at work was ok. Jen xxxx

ME 27 and DP 35

my fair lady

#20 Post by my fair lady » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:43 am

Hi Jen, BFP!!! First scan booked in for 14th Dec when I'll be 6 weeks, and hopefully we'll hear that little heartbeat ticking nicely! Until then it wont sink in hehe. How you feeling? xx

jenwestie2009

#21 Post by jenwestie2009 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:15 am

I'm fine hunny over the moon for u!!!!! It's given me a boost too. Got out appointment Monday so not to long for us now. Wish I had stopped drinking much sooner coz i enjoy a few drinks at the wkend. Could have done with losing a bit of weight too but when u give up smoking its hard not to replace cigarets with food. I'm sure it will be ok staying positive. I'm so so excited for u xxxxx

ME 27 and DP 35

my fair lady

#22 Post by my fair lady » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:00 am

Bless you thank you, and Im glad I give you hope! Meant to ask, does your OH have siblings carrying the gene too? Mine does, a brother and sister, though we were told it doesnt effect a woman's reproductive organs. Poor Bro in law though, he's only 19 so one day he'll have the same procedure to go thru. Monday will come round soon enough! When did you stop smoking/drinking? I dont smoke but also enjoy the odd drink!! Prior to starting the drugs, there were nights when I craved a glass of wine!! But I was good! xxx

jenwestie2009

#23 Post by jenwestie2009 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:07 pm

Yeah my partner has brother and sister but not sure if his brother has the same as we don't think he will have children he is 40 and hasn't got a partner. Although the docs have said he will more than likely have the same thing. His sister was tested and doesn't have it and she is currently 5 months pregnant. I stopped smoking 6 months ago although had a blip one night. I stopped drinking too just before treatment but had one glass with Sunday dinner but don't think that will harm. I hope this will be enough. It's hard when ur going through all this to give up what u most enjoy xx

ME 27 and DP 35

my fair lady

#24 Post by my fair lady » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:02 am

Aww you'll be fine then, dont fret about it. You tried that non-alcoholic wine or beer? The beer aint that bad actually! I'll be getting some in for christmas hehe. Werent fussed about the wine though,but saying that its been over a year since I tried em both (during cycle no2). Rang care yest as need more pessaries and I asked how long I take em for, she was like well, IF your scan goes ok on 14th, you'll continue them past then. IF!! she put serious doubt in my head, was on a bit of a downer rest of the rest, but today im good again, as my sore boobs have reminded me that im pregnant! i just need to hear that heart beat.
have a lovely weekend and if i dont hear back from you before, good luck for mon xxx

jenwestie2009

#25 Post by jenwestie2009 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi my fair lady sorry for very late response. How are things with u? I've been busy with scans at the moment and getting nearer to egg collection now. Hada bit of discomfort and constantly feel like I need a wee!!! Still hot hot hot lol. Ready now to get everything done...seems like ages ago we started now. Hope u and bump are well. Jen.xx

ME 27 and DP 35