Adoption. Working with Children - What if he wont?

Life after IVF? What other options are available?

Moderator: Administrator

cadavisuk

Adoption. Working with Children - What if he wont?

Following a failed cycle, hubby and I have talked about, read up on and spoken to people about adopting. The biggest thing that comes out of all of this is the need to have contact with and looking after children.

I used to be volunteer teaching children to bowl 8 years ago and have applied to do some volunteer work again so that I have more recent experience.

My husband on the other hand won’t do anything voluntarily and even grumbles if I suggest taking my nephew out for the day. I have asked if he does not really want to take this route and is only agreeing to it because he thinks it’s what I want and he tells me that it is what he wants too.

If he doesn’t have any experience with children at all, is it likely to go against us? :?
DebbieM

My husband was the same and wouldn't do any voluntary work- I helped out at a nursery and Rainbows. But it didn't make any difference to us, so don't worry.

Good luck.

Debbie xx
cadavisuk

Thanks Debbie, that's reassuring to hear.
josie67

My hubby didn't have any experience, but we did babysit some friends kids over the time when SW was doing home visits until recently. Hubby didn't have time to be going out volunteering, and this was deemed ok by our adoption organisation. They say it is preferable, but at the end of the day, SW's are realistic too, and as long as you make some effort and show willing, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with your journey xxx
cadavisuk

Thanks Josie.

I have been reading through on the Adoption Angels and see you are some way in and at a very nervous point in your journey, I wish you all the best.

Cant wait until my journey starts properly but it is such a long wait from IVF to Adoption, although I understand it, it just seems to go on and on. One good thing about the wait is that with the changes currently comming into play, it should move a lot quicker than if I were to start the journey now.

Who knows, by Christmas 2014 I could potentially have a LO of my own....